Tonia Machaira | Nutrition
How to Boost Your Immune System: Remember, Let Food Be Your Medication!
• Follow a diet rich in natural, whole, nutritious foods. Our immune system relies on these foods to function optimally. Deaths from viruses and infections are usually due to the organism's inability to fight them due to low immunity and not to the virus / infection itself.
• Cut sugar and processed starch. It's the best time to do a detox from junk and sugar. Research shows that processed starch thrives on the immune system for hours after it is consumed.
• Make sure you consume enough protein. Sure most of us already eat enough protein but many elderly and VEGAN may not. Protein plays an important role in the immune system. Make sure you consume at least 1g per kilogram of body weight or about 2 servings of 120g of pure, organic animal protein. Vegetable sources of protein (pulses, nuts and spores) are sufficient if consumed in sufficient quantities. Tofu and tempeh from non-GMO soybeans are also a good choice.
• Add garlic, onions, ginger and lots of spices (oregano, turmeric, rosemary) to all your meals! Add them to your soups and oils, salads and sauces. They go everywhere.
• Consume many portions of colored fruits and vegetables high in vitamins C, A, and phytochemicals that enhance our immune system. Choose from many leafy dark green vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, peppers, sweet potatoes, beets and pumpkins. Aim for 2 servings of fruit and 8 or more servings of vegetables daily. One serving is a handful of vegetables.
• Eat fermented foods to boost your intestinal microflora and immune system. Eat yogurt with towel, homemade pickles, kimchi, sour milk, tempeh.
• Make your body alkaline. Sugar and processed foods tend to make the body a little more acidic and therefore more susceptible to COVID-19. Eating a lot of vegetables (5-8 handfuls a day) is a good way to make it more alkaline, along with plenty of lemon and filtered water.
• Consume plenty of liquids, especially hot. Consuming plenty of fluids enhances all functions of the body including the immune system. Make broths and soups and enjoy them daily. Drink herbs and teas, pure water and ginger, turmeric and yogurt in Kozani You have a glass of water filtered beside you constantly. Avoid concentrated juices and fruit drinks because they have high levels of sugar that damage the immune system.
• Get enough sleep! At least now we have the opportunity to do so. We all know that sleep restores and heals the body. Without enough sleep there is no strong immune system! Build up your schedules and go to bed earlier. Aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night.
• Exercise daily. Easy to moderate exercise (for 30-45 minutes) helps strengthen our immune system. Avoid overtraining and high stress especially when you are not feeling well. If you can work out in areas without people, perfect. Otherwise find online fitness programs.
• Practice meditation and yoga. The data are clear. Increased levels of stress make us more vulnerable to viruses and diseases. Perhaps it's time to learn to meditate, do yoga, take a hot bath and take deep breaths.